Sandalwood - Royal Hawaiian
- Botanical Name: Santalum paniculatum
- Origin: Hawaii
- Process: Steam Distilled
- Plant Part: Heartwood
- Cultivation: Cultivated
- Use: Aromatherapy / Natural Perfumery
- Note: Base Note
- Aroma: Sweet, woody, strong, resinous, deep
- Contraindications: Dilute before using. A patch test should be performed before use for those with sensitive skin.
- Certificate of Analysis
This rich Sandalwood is indigenous to Hawaii and harvested from a family-owned plantation committed to reforestation. The calming aroma has amazing longevity when applied to the skin.
Sandalwood is revered for its sweet, warm, woody and rich aroma. It is widely sought after in body care, skin care, natural perfumes, and incense for its beautiful fragrance and calming effects. Used in India for centuries in religious and spiritual practices, as well as in traditional medicine for thousands of years, Sandalwood is a well-respected oil.
The Sandalwood most recognized is the Santalum album oil from the Mysore region of India. It is pretty well know these days that this Sandalwood has become virtually extinct due to years of over harvesting and poaching. The good news is that this created a need for cultivating various species of Sandalwood using more sustainable practices to meet consumer demand for this popular oil.
Eden Botanicals offers a wide variety of species of Sandalwood from around the globe to fit your budget and needs. We source our oils from reputable sources that are ethically harvesting the trees so this precious resource can be sustained. If you are unsure of which Sandalwood to order, we offer a sampler pack so you can experience each one prior to committing to purchase.
Aromatic Profile: Rich, woody, sweet, and full-bodied with long lasting tenacity.
Appearance: Clear to off-white liquid.
Use: In natural perfumery, skin and body care, incense, spiritual and religious practices, meditation.
Blending Suggestions: Add drop by drop to create a base note or to add a woody, sweet note to your blends.
Safety Considerations: Dilute before using. A patch test should be performed before use for those with sensitive skin.
Customer Reviews for Sandalwood - Royal Hawaiian
- Different, but equal. Review by Matt S
- It's been a lot of years since I've had indian sandalwood that smelled anywhere close to the magical and utterly distinctive mysore variety I last had in the 80's. That sandalwood was both soft yet tenacious in the extreme. Worn neat it would take more than a shower to chase the fragrance away. The lack of that legendary tenacity makes me suspect that either the trees that oil came from are long gone, or dilution has become part of the process at the source. I had resigned myself to never experiencing a powerful yet refined sandalwood again....then I tried the Royal Hawaiian oil from Eden. When I opened the bottle the first time it was like someone slapped me senseless. It is not exactly the same as Mysore sandal, but I have to say (gasp!) that it is it's equal in every way. It has a brightness in it's top that is unique. Some here have referred to it as fruity, but really it's just ALIVE. This sandalwood has an animalic undertone that makes you think naughty thoughts. To say that it is woody, or sweet is like saying sunshine is bright, or rain is wet. This oil is definitive and a genuine pleasure to work with in fragrance composition. Expensive? Yup, but a drop of this has the strength of 10 drops of the Rare variety, and has none of the sharp farty notes that I've come to associate with Australian Sandalwood. This is the real deal. Different, but equally as beautiful as the Indian sandal that defined sandalwood for me so many years ago. (Posted on 9/21/14)
- Gorgeous Review by Bab
- Wow, this is the most beautiful sandalwood to use with floral blends, giving them a lushness and deepness that isn't heavy. Just amazing longevity as well. (Posted on 4/26/13)
- A Wonderful Sandalwood Review by Cheryl
- My favorite of all the Sandalwoods that I have tried. There is a depth that outshines even the Australian Sandalwood that I like as well. I made a solid perfume using this Royal Hawaiian Sandalwood and other essential oils and it is amazing. Will buy a larger size as I know I will make this oil a staple for me. (Posted on 3/7/13)
- Excellent Sandalwood in its own right!! Review by Brady
- This is a very interesting Sandalwood. To me it has all of the same base notes as Santalum Album, yet the top notes are a bit more fruity in this variety. As another reviewer stated the top note scent holds for a lot longer than a lot of Album varieties and it definitely has a place in my collection. Personally I still like the Album variety better for my own spiritual reasons but this is amazing and I feel privileged to have experienced it. (Posted on 2/20/13)
- Oh, yeah.... Review by BShea
- Royal Hawaiian Sandalwood; When I heard Eden had this I just had to get me a sample! I had heard that there were sandalwood trees in Hawaii and I was always so intrigued; "How does it smell?". Well it smells like the classic Indian Mysore Sandalwood, but better! Deeper, richer, stronger, more diffusive. I LOVE it!(and I love Sandalwood). And it lasts a really long time. Another WOW! I have to get some. (Posted on 2/14/13)
- Their Forest Review by Miss Placed Hawaiian
- I had the honor to be able to tour their forest, and they blew me away with what they are doing. They are trying to recreate a Native Hawaiian Forest. They are trying to prove that if you replant the ancient forests you will not only be more sustainable but profitable!!! Using what they have built as a model to help sustain Hawaii's future. Amazing stuff!!!! ON top of all of that the oils are world class. A very high end luxury sandalwood oil. All of the efforts put into the forest exude in the heart of the woods oil. Royal Hawaiian Sandalwood is the future of the sandalwood market. (Posted on 8/17/12)