- Botanical Name: Boswellia carterii
- Origin: Somalia
- Process: Steam Distilled Essential Oil
- Plant Part: Resin
- Cultivation: Wild Grown
- Use: Aromatherapy / Natural Perfumery / Incense
- Note: Base Note (excellent fixative)
- Aroma: Dry, diffusive, and bright citrus topnotes over a penetrating, resinous/coniferous, slightly peppery and balsamic undertone.
- Contraindications: Dilute prior to use.
- Certificate of Analysis
Somalian Frankincense Essential Oil
Our steam distilled Frankincense from Somalia has an ethereal, dry, diffusive, and bright aroma that, although penetrating, is without any harsh notes.
Prized for millennia, Frankincense, like Myrrh, is an oil especially valued for use in skincare preparations for prevention of wrinkles1 and dry, damaged or mature skin,2 in respiratory formulas (Frankincense with Lemon or Pine), for support of the immune system (Frankincense with Palmarosa), and for nervous depression (Frankincense with Geranium).3 The oil has pain-relieving and decongestant properties4,5 and the aroma is renowned for sacred uses, its ability to instill deep tranquility of mind, and to slow the breath rate, making it ideal for meditation purposes.6,7
Each Frankincense oil that we offer is of very high quality and we recommend all of them. From a traditional view, one would perhaps choose one of our steam distilled Frankincense essential oils, particularly for aromatherapy purposes, because the CO2 extraction process is newer. However, both of our Indian and Somalian Frankincense CO2 oils offer to the natural botanical perfumer a more complete aromatic profile with higher, brighter top notes and deeper, more complex bottom notes than the steam distilled Frankincense oils.
Aromatic Profile: Dry, diffusive, and bright citrus topnotes over a penetrating, resinous/coniferous, slightly peppery and balsamic undertone. Outstanding fixative properties.
Appearance: Clear, transparent, mobile liquid.
Use: Aromatherapy, Natural Perfumery, Incense.
Blending Suggestions: Add drop by drop to add a full-bodied base note to your blends. “Gives delightful effects in citrus colognes and “incense” type perfumes; an important ingredient in Oriental bases, “powder”, floral and violet type perfumes.” (Steffen Arctander, Perfume and Flavor Materials of Natural Origin.)
Blends Well With: Bergamot, Cinnamon, Clary Sage, Clove, Cypress, Galbanum, Geranium, Ginger, Jasmine, Juniper, Labdanum, Lavender, Mandarin, Myrrh, Neroli, Oakmoss, Palo Santo, Patchouli, Pink Lotus, Mandarin Petitgrain, Rosemary, Sandalwood, Thyme, Tobacco, Vetiver, Ylang Ylang. We also recommend blending the different types of frankincense oils we carry to create a unique, complex frankincense accord.
Safety Considerations: Dilute before using. A patch test should be performed before use for those with sensitive skin.
1 Tisserand, Robert. The Art of Aromatherapy, 1977, p. 230
2 Keville, Kathi and Mindy Green. Aromatherapy: A Complete Guide to the Healing Art, 1995, p. 96.
3 Rhind, Jennifer Peace. Essential Oils – A Handbook for Aromatherapy Practice, 2012, p. 153.
4 Price, Shirley and Len Price. Aromatherapy for Health Professionals, 2nd ed., 1999, p. 68.
5 Tisserand, Robert. The Art of Aromatherapy, 1977, p. 230.
6 Hoffman, David. The New Holistic Herbal, 1991, p. 14.
7 Mojay, Gabriel. Aromatherapy for Healing the Spirit, 1996, pp.74-75, 138.
Customer Reviews for Frankincense, Somalia
- favourite Review by Liz
- This is my favourite frankincense so far. Its very smooth and mellow and less sharp than the others I have tried. (Posted on 3/21/13)
- face serum Review by mervat
- I bought frankincense-Somalia from Eden Botanicals and I love its earthy smell. I use my frankincense with other essential oils (3% to 4%) diluted in rose hip and jojoba oil and use it as face serum for anti-aging and healing purposes. (Posted on 3/6/13)
- oil blends Review by miket
- Frankincense is an oil I use in massage, nebulizers and apply it to the skin. I have tried most of Eden's frankincense oils and use them differently. CO2 oils cost more, and are my favorite, but the Somalia is cheaper, and still high quality. Great to purchase in bulk. (Posted on 2/21/13)
- Love it for skin care! Review by Jessica
- I make my own homemade creams and lotions which I always elevate with the addition of essential oils. Frankincense is one I highly value for skin cell rejuvenation, repair, and for dry and sensitive skin. I also utilize this Frankincense, Somalia wild in perfume blends and aromatherapy preparations. I am soon to try the CO2 they offer, but I love ethically wildcrafted as well! This frankincense is soothing, delicate, and deep without being sharp. (Posted on 2/14/13)