Lavandin, Grosso - Organic
- Botanical Name: Lavandula hybrida
- Origin: France
- Process: Steam Distilled Essential Oil
- Plant Part: Flowers
- Cultivation: Cultivated, Certified Organic
- Use: Aromatherapy / Natural Perfumery
- Note: Middle / Top Note
- Aroma: Fresh, camphorous, floral. A fine quality Lavender hybrid that makes a nice lower cost option to the “true” Lavenders.
- Certificate of Analysis
Lavandin Essential Oil- Grosso - Organic
Our organic Lavandin is grown in France and is of high quality. Organic Lavandin Grosso is suitable for use where a lower cost, hybrid Lavender is desired.
For those interested in an explanation of the difference between True Lavenders and Lavandin:
True Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia = L. vera = L. officinalis) grow at a high altitude. Spike Lavender (Lavandula spica = L. latifolia) at a lower altitude on the same sunny hills in the south of France. When these two plants meet, there are several hybrids that appear, namely, Lavandin abrialis, L. grosso, L. intermedia, L. reydovan and L. super. The advantage of these hybrids is that they have a significantly higher yield and are thus less costly. However for the true Lavender lovers, these oils contain much less complexity in their chemistry and therefore differ in their uses. You will certainly get a Lavender-like aroma, but the properties are not as broad as in a true Lavender. They are not less potent, just different.
Customer Reviews for Lavandin, Grosso - Organic
- Less complex is not necessarily bad Review by M.
- I agree that this is a simpler, more linear aroma than the true lavenders. However for perfumery blending, that can be a good thing, depending on what you want. Perhaps easier to work with for less experienced blenders too (me), and in any case, it's always nice to have different "tools" that give different results. Don't be too quick to dismiss this beautiful oil in your ingredient list (I think it's a good "clean" bright lavender in masculine fougères for example). (Posted on 7/23/14)