Myrrh, Somalia - Organic
- Botanical Name: Commiphora myrrha
- Origin: Somalia
- Process: Steam Distilled Essential Oil
- Plant Part: Resin
- Cultivation: Wild Grown, Certified Organic
- Use: Aromatherapy / Natural Perfumery / Incense
- Note: Base Note (good fixative)
- Aroma: Buttery and warm, deep resin/wood notes with hints of spice, leather and dried fruit.
- Contraindications: Dilute prior to use.
- Certificate of Analysis
Organic Somalian Myrrh Essential Oil
This exceptional organic Myrrh from Somalia has more character than most myrrh essential oils. It is excellent for organic skin care, respiratory preparations, and as an aid in meditation.
The significant history of Myrrh dates back some 4,000 years for its extensive use in healing preparations, perfumery, incense, and ritualistic ceremonies. Myrrh essential oil is a warm, sweet smelling (yet bitter tasting), earthy oil that can be used effectively in your aromatherapy and natural perfume blends. It is an antiseptic, astringent, expectorant, helps stop bleeding, and is useful for supporting the immune system.
Myrrh oil is especially valued for use in skin preparations, respiratory formulas, for treating wounds, and as a meditative aid with the ability to instill deep tranquility of mind. In her book Subtle Aromatherapy, Patricia Davis states: “Myrrh is particularly valuable for people who feel ‘stuck’ emotionally or spiritually and want to move forward in their lives.”
Aromatic Profile: Buttery and warm, deep resin/wood notes with hints of spice, leather and dried fruit. Provides tenacity and has excellent fixative properties.
Appearance: Light golden yellow, somewhat viscous liquid.
Use: Aromatherapy, Natural Perfumery, Incense.
Blending Suggestions: Add drop by drop to add a full-bodied base note to your blends. “Used in small amounts in perfumes of the heavy-floral and heavy-Oriental types, in woody-balsamic bases, and with forest and moss notes.” (Steffen Arctander, Perfume and Flavor Materials of Natural Origin)
Blends Well With: Cinnamon, Clove, Cypress, Frankincense, Galbanum, Geranium, Ginger, Juniper, Lavender, Mandarin, Oakmoss, Patchouli, Mandarin Petitgrain, Sandalwood, Thyme. We also recommend blending the different types of myrrh oils we carry to create a unique, complex myrrh accord.
Safety Considerations: Dilute before using. A patch test should be performed before use for those with sensitive skin.
Customer Reviews for Myrrh, Somalia - Organic
- The perfect myrrh. Review by sarah
- I love myrrh. This is THE myrrh. I also am going to try your other Myrrhs for comparison, I think this is the one though. Thank you so much :) (Posted on 10/10/14)
- Aromatastic Review by Dr. Justin
- This Somalian Myrrh is aromatically deep, rich, warm, earthy, bitter, balsamic, slightly sweet & spicy making it extremely versatile. Therapeutically relaxing, enhances meditation, it is sensuous, and can help with sleeplessness. This particular oil blends well with amber, cassia, cinnamon, patchouli, rose and many others, making this essential oil, essential for your personal collection of oils. (Posted on 9/7/14)
- Multi-purpose and ages very well Review by SB
- I purchased this Myrrh EO a few years ago. It is one of those oils that ages nicely. The scent deepens over time and it's perfect for oral care, skin care (esp. dry or maturing skin), and body care. One only needs a small amount! (Posted on 8/29/14)
- Love this oil! Review by Rebecca
- Smells wonderful! I put a few drops in my face oil and it works wonders for clearing up stubborn breakouts. Received it as a sample will definitely buy more! (Posted on 8/29/14)